A quick way to clean a pomegranate without splashing
Pomegranate is a fruit for the not lazy and purposeful, do you agree? Extracting sweet grains can be quite difficult. But only for those who have not yet mastered cool life hacks that help you enjoy your favorite fruit without any problems. We decided to figure out which is the fastest way to clean a pomegranate, which is the easiest, and also find the most convenient way to clean a pomegranate without splashing. If you want to know all the secrets, then take the information into service.
To avoid disappointment when you cut a fruit and it’s unripe or rotten, it’s important to know how to choose a ripe and sweet pomegranate. There are several nuances that you should pay attention to when buying:
- peel – elastic, dry and rich in color, without spots and cracks;
- “crown” – bright red;
- weight – the fetus in the hand should feel heavy, not light;
- when lightly tapped, the sound is sonorous.
To begin with, let’s dwell on what is important to know when cleaning a pomegranate. First of all, the fruit must be properly washed and dried. Our maximum task is to get as many whole grains as possible and at the same time not waste useful juice. That is why it is important to try to work carefully in the first step when cutting the pomegranate. To minimize contamination, you can work in the water or over the kitchen sink, and use household tools to remove the grains. We will discuss each of these methods separately.
How to peel a pomegranate with a knife
You may not be able to do everything perfectly the first time. But after 2-3 attempts, you will be able to cut and peel the pomegranate without a single drop of juice.
- Lay the pomegranate on a cutting board, crown side up.
- Gently run a knife along the top so as not to damage the grains, but only cut the peel.
- Pull the top towards you and remove it.
- Cut out a dense white core from the center.
- Pass the knife through the segments, cutting the peel.
- When the entire pomegranate is notched, break it apart along the cuts with your hands. You will get an open fruit in the shape of a flower with 6 petals.
How to clean a pomegranate in water
When you cut the peel and divided the pomegranate into segments, the only thing left to do is to extract the seeds. This can be done, for example, in a bowl of water.
- Place the cut pomegranate in a bowl of cold water.
- Gently scrape the grains with your hands and remove the skin.
- Remove white films that float to the surface.
- Rinse the grains and put on a fine sieve to dry.
Another option on how to quickly peel a pomegranate with water is to cut it, lower it into water and break it into segments. This is an easy way to clean a pomegranate for those who are afraid of getting dirty.
How to peel a pomegranate with a spoon
This method of extracting grains can be safely called the “shock” method. And all because your task is to knock out the grains from the pomegranate. This method is suitable for those who do not like the gradual removal of the peel.
- Start by cutting a whole pomegranate in half.
- Take one half in the palm of your hand and place cut side down over a deep bowl.
- Arm yourself with a large, preferably wooden, spoon. Start hitting the grenade. Do not be afraid to use force, it will be very useful here. From tapping, the grains will fly out into the bowl, and only the peel will remain in the hand.
- Repeat the process with the second half of the pomegranate.
When there is no heavy wooden spoon at hand, you can arm yourself with a ladle, rolling pin or other kitchen utensils.
How to wash your hands from pomegranate juice
If your hands get dirty while peeling or eating a pomegranate, it is best to wash them immediately with a little soap. But sometimes, especially when working with fruit for a long time, the pigment can firmly eat into the skin. Regular lemon juice will come to the rescue. Put them on your hands and rub lightly, and then rinse under running water. Alternatively, you can use an antiseptic or antiseptic wipes, which also do a good job with this problem.
By the way, lemon juice or vinegar can also be used to clean a cutting board that has traces of pomegranate juice on it.
Cleaning a pomegranate will never feel like a complicated, fussy and messy business again. The peeled seeds can be stored in the refrigerator for several days in a container or jar with a lid.