- 1 Fertilizers for thuja in the fall: how to help survive the winter
- 2 Why does thuja need feeding in the fall?
- 3 What are the benefits of potassium and phosphorus for thuja?
- 4 When and how to apply potassium-phosphorus fertilizers
Fertilizers for thuja in the fall: how to help survive the winter
We have very few ornamental plants in our summer cottage. The area is mainly occupied by fruit trees, bushes and grapes. Of course, there is also a recreation area, completely covered with lawn grass. Here the dog is allowed to frolic, the children love to play with the ball, and my mother-in-law and I drink tea on a late summer evening. Here we enter fertilizers for thuja in autumnso that she protects us from the envious eyes of our neighbors.
My good friend, who is also a professional gardener, is sure that autumn care for ornamental plants, including thujas, plays a decisive role for their health. One of its key aspects is feeding, which will help the thujas stay green and healthy next season. And today I will tell you what fertilizers I use to feed thuja before hibernation so that they do not dry out.
Why does thuja need feeding in the fall?
Arborvitae are evergreen conifers that appear to be weather-resistant. However, during the winter, especially on cold and snowy days, they may lack moisture and nutrients. Feeding thuja before the start of winter helps strengthen them and reduces the risk of drying out.
Which fertilizers for thuja to choose
To feed thuja before winter, it is recommended to use special fertilizers rich in microelements and minerals. It is important to choose fertilizers specifically designed for coniferous plants. Here are several types of fertilizers that are suitable for feeding thuja:
- Fertilizers with high nitrogen content. Nitrogen promotes the development of green mass and provides thujas with a healthy and strong appearance. Choose fertilizers that are higher in nitrogen than phosphorus and potassium.
- Slow release fertilizers. Such fertilizers provide uniform nutrition to plants for a long time, which is especially important in the cold season.
- Fertilizers with microelements. Fertilizers containing trace elements such as iron, copper and zinc will help prevent various diseases and make your thuja more resistant to pests.
- Potassium-phosphorus fertilizers. They help plants prepare for the colder months by increasing their resistance to adverse conditions.
What are the benefits of potassium and phosphorus for thuja?
- Strengthens the cell walls of plants, making them more resistant to mechanical stress.
- Increases resistance to low temperatures and drought.
- Helps improve the exchange of water and nutrients in the plant.
- Promotes the development of the root system, which is especially important for thuja, which is just taking root in the soil.
- Participates in the processes of flowering and fruiting of plants.
- Helps plants recover from stressful situations.
When and how to apply potassium-phosphorus fertilizers
- Feeding time. The best time to apply potassium-phosphorus fertilizers is autumn, before the onset of winter. This will give the thujas enough time to absorb nutrients before the cold period.
- Dosage calculation. Calculation of the required dose of fertilizer depends on the size and age of the thuja. You should refer to the instructions on the fertilizer packaging and follow the recommended dosage exactly.
- Uniform distribution. Spread the fertilizer evenly around the root zone of the thuja, starting from the trunk and expanding the zone outward. Be sure to leave a small gap between the fertilizer and the trunk to avoid direct contact with the plant.
- Hydration. After feeding, water the thuja generously to activate the process of fertilizer absorption. Moisture will help distribute nutrients in the soil and allow them to be better absorbed by the roots.
Why do we need potassium-phosphorus fertilizers?
Feeding thuja before winter with potassium-phosphorus fertilizers helps strengthen the plant and increase its resistance to frost and snowfall. She also prepares the roots of the thuja for the period of winter dormancy and provides them with the necessary nutrition. Fertilizers improve the overall health of the plant, which affects its appearance and vigor.
Feeding thuja before winter is an important procedure for maintaining the health and beauty of these evergreens. By choosing the right fertilizers and following the recommendations for their use, you can enjoy the beauty of your thujas even on the harshest winter days. Pay attention to the winter care of your plants, and they will delight you year after year.