Gravy with flour: secrets of its preparation
Typically, gravy is prepared to highlight the taste of various dishes (this can be both side dishes and meat dishes). Wanting to make this sauce more aromatic, we add all kinds of spices and herbs to it. If you want to thicken it, use wheat flour. However, when adding a second ingredient, a big problem may arise – the appearance of lumps. A smooth gravy with flour is easier to prepare than it seems, you just need to know a few subtleties.
Experienced housewives use little tricks that help avoid the appearance of unpleasant lumps. As a result, the gravy they make comes out very aromatic, thick, and has a pleasant consistency and wonderful taste.
How to properly prepare gravy with flour
- First, wheat flour should be fried in a dry frying pan (without adding sunflower or butter). It should take on a light golden hue.
- Then the flour must be gradually added to a very small amount of hot water. It needs to be stirred thoroughly.
- Next, you need to pour the resulting mixture into the gravy in the frying pan (in a thin stream). Stir it thoroughly, distributing it evenly.
Step-by-step recipe for the perfect gravy
You can also make a delicious sauce for dishes based on flour, rather than using it only as a thickener. Catch a proven recipe that will make your gravy incredibly delicious.
You will need:
- 60 g wheat flour
- 50 g butter
- 500 ml broth or hot water
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Heat a frying pan with a thick bottom. Melt butter on it. Sift the wheat flour. Carefully pour it into the pan.
- Fry the flour, stirring vigorously, until a pleasant golden color is obtained.
- Gradually pour broth or water into the pan. Keep stirring the mixture in the pan to prevent lumps from appearing.
- Add a little salt and ground black pepper. Boil the mixture in a frying pan until it thickens, stirring thoroughly.
- Serve the prepared gravy with mashed potatoes and baked fish. Yummy!
Also, if you wish, you can prepare such a classic gravy with tomato paste. It will make the sauce taste more delicate. Added garlic will give the gravy a spicy kick. Considering that tomato paste will be used during its preparation, we recommend adding a little sugar to stabilize the acidity. This way you will have a bright and aromatic sauce (without lumps) ready for meat and fish dishes, as well as for pasta.