How to get rid of mice in the house forever
To get rid of mice, the easiest way is to use toxic chemicals. But this method may be unsafe, especially if there are children or pets in the house. Because house mice and gray rats do not hibernate; owners of houses and apartments encounter them precisely with the arrival of cold weather.
Rodents look for grains, cereals and nuts, but if necessary they will eat anything they can get their hands on. Their teeth are so strong and sharp that even plastic and rubber are no problem. This way the pest will be able to get into even sealed containers. Editorial “With Taste” found the most effective, environmentally friendly and safe method of getting rid of such unwanted guests. Read about this and more in the article below.
Rodents in the house
The presence of rodents in the house brings a lot of inconvenience:
- damage to property, including furniture, carpets, walls, wiring;
- diseases dangerous to human health and life;
- unpleasant rustling noise at night;
- specific smell in the house;
- spoiled food.
Reasons for appearance
Here are factors that increase the likelihood that you will have rodents in your home:
The house is located near a landfill or piles of garbage. Rodents are attracted to waste deposits both for nesting and for searching for food. In this case, they can easily move to human housing located nearby.
The presence of a cluttered basement, attic or balcony.
On the ground floor of a multi-storey building there is a grocery store or warehouse with products.
Failure to comply with basic sanitary standards.
Rodents can get into the house, for example, when moving, hiding in drawers.
Nearby there is a room where poultry or livestock are kept.
Signs of appearance
Determining that rodents have appeared in your home is not so difficult. The most common signs look like this:
- mouse droppings. You can stumble across it next to food, in cabinets, boxes, under the sink or in the oven. Where rodents nest and feed, it will be most abundant;
- bitten furniture, wiring and clothing items. Traces of rodents can be found even on the structure of the house itself. Quite large marks indicate the presence of rats;
- unpleasant specific smell. Pets often react to it;
- damaged packages with cereals, damaged packages of grains and seeds;
- scratching sounds at night.
The sheer scale of the disaster can be understood by the abundance of these signs. If rodents are active exclusively at night, then their population has not become too large. This can be corrected yourself using traps and bait. If rodents are noticeable during the day, and you begin to come across new tracks or a large amount of droppings, the animals have probably multiplied greatly. Eliminating large numbers of mice and rats may require the services of professionals.
How to get rid of mice in the house: salt method
As soon as you find traces of rodents, you need to start fighting them without delay. Below we propose a method without the use of dangerous toxic agents and chemical components. It includes regular table salt, birch tar and a concentrated infusion of peppermint. The last 2 products can be purchased at your nearest pharmacy.
How to prepare mouse repellent:
- Combine 1.5 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. peppermint infusion and 1 tsp. birch tar.
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly.
- Soak cotton pads in the resulting mixture and place them around the entire perimeter of the room where pests live.
- The smell of this product repels both mice and rats. This way rodents will avoid your house.
Prevention of rodents
For prevention purposes, everything should be sealed holes and crevices. Store food in airtight containers and throw away trash regularly. The attic and basement should be dry and well ventilated, because rodents often flee to moisture and dampness. Remove all accumulations of water and waste, including leaking pipes and clogged drains. Store firewood at a distance of at least 6 meters from the house.
Remember: Rodents not only carry diseases, but can also spread dangerous viruses and germs through food. The bacteria are often spread through their droppings, urine and bites. Mice often cause allergies in humans. They damage electrical wires, which could hypothetically lead to a fire. When these animals decide to move into a new space, they bring ticks, fleas and other parasites with them.