How to grow green onions on a windowsill
It cannot be disputed that the most delicious and aromatic greens are those that self-grown. However, not everyone has summer cottages to do this. This reason should not stand in the way of those who want to always have fresh homemade vegetables on hand. We are confident that anyone can grow green onions on a windowsill. You just need to tackle this matter wisely.
Organize a vegetable garden on your windowsill so that you can enjoy juicy green onions even in cold weather. Take a quality one to grow it planting material. Read on to learn how to choose the right one.
A great way to grow green onions on a windowsill: nuances
Selection of planting material
So that you can receive 2 times more crispy green feathers, focus on the following factors.
- The onion must be multi-germinated. To check, cut it in half. Do you see 2 rudiments? Congratulations!
- Plant medium sized bulbs. They must be at least 4 cm in diameter. Then the feathers will not be very thin.
- Choose early or mid-season varieties. Since late onions will ripen much longer.
- Take a weak solution of potassium permanganate. Treat the planting material with it to disinfect it.
- Monitor the temperature in your home. It should be between 22–25 degrees above zero.
- Place the onion on the sunny side. This way it will receive enough light for active growth.
Growing onions in egg trays
Onions can be planted in the ground or in a simpler way. For this we take chicken egg container. Cut off the lid to use as a tray. We make holes in the egg tray from which water will flow out. Cut off the tops of the partitions. It will be possible to pour liquid through them without the onion starting to rot. Place an onion in each cell. Fill the tray with water. The liquid should be at a height of 1 cm. Place the resulting structure on the windowsill.
By taking into account all the nuances when choosing planting material, you can get a lot of juicy green onion feathers in the shortest possible time. Don’t forget about the place where to grow onions, the temperature conditions and signs of successful bulbs for planting. Then the garden on the windowsill will delight you with an excellent harvest.