How to save beets for the winter: working methods
It is not enough to collect vegetables correctly, they are still needed and keep right. Only in this way you can enjoy these gifts of nature for as long as possible. Today we will talk about how to store beets for the winter so that they remain juicy and sweet.
By following a few rules and remembering all the nuances, you can until the spring use homemade root vegetables during cooking. They will not begin to wrinkle and take root, so you do not have to buy beets in the store.
How to save beets for the winter: basic rules
- Nuances during the harvest. In order for the beets to stand for a long time, they must be harvested at the most optimal time (before the first frost). The weather should be dry and the ground should be pliable. That is why 14 days before harvesting beets, it is worth stopping watering.
- Suitable premises and necessary conditions. Fruits should be stored at a temperature of 2 to 4 degrees above zero. For this, a basement or cellar is ideal. At higher temperatures, roots will begin to germinate. By the way, keep an eye on the humidity. It must be very high, otherwise the beets will lose their juiciness and wrinkle.
How to properly store beets
- Method number 1. Summer residents with considerable experience store beets next to potatoes. These vegetables coexist perfectly. After all, potatoes give their excess moisture to beets. So keeping them close by is a great idea. Put the beetroot in 2-3 layers on the potatoes and be sure that it will remain juicy.
- Method number 2. Coniferous sawdust is an ideal filler in which to store root crops. It will help protect the beets from spoilage. The main thing is to lay out dry sawdust and vegetables alternately. Pour a layer of filler into the box, which should not be higher than 3 cm. Then place the fruits so that they are at a distance from each other.
- Method number 3. You can also store beets in plastic bags. But this is the most unreliable method. Place root vegetables in bags. Tie them tightly. Has condensation formed? Unzip the bags and leave a small opening to allow moisture to escape.
Harvest the beets properly and store them in a suitable location using one of the methods we have detailed above. In this case, even in winter, you will cook the most delicious borscht and vinaigrette, using homemade juicy vegetables.