Strawberry leaves turn red: what to do
In autumn, you can see how the leaves on plants turn yellow or turn brown. Should I worry about this and do something? Let’s figure out why strawberry leaves turn red and whether we should expect harmful consequences.
Let’s say in advance that the appearance of brown spots very rarely indicates a disease of a given plant. Therefore, digging up and burning strawberry bushes with reddened leaves not worth it. But it’s also not worth attributing the appearance of this color only to autumn.
Why do strawberry leaves turn red and what should you do?
- Phosphorus deficiency. This is the most common reason why leaves may become smaller and turn red.
- Disease. Its sign is brown spotting, which is similar to rust. If the leaves look like they’ve been burned, cut them and the tendrils off. This way you will prevent neighboring bushes from getting sick.
- Potassium deficiency. This can be indicated by leaves that turn red along the edges. Apply fertilizer containing the necessary nutrients to the soil.
- Wrong location for transfer. Because of this, strawberry leaves may also become covered with red spots.
- Affected root system. Reddened lower strawberry leaves may indicate this problem. To get rid of brown spot, use copper-based preparations, which help fight fungal spores.
Preventing redness from spreading to other bushes
Did the leaves begin to turn brown even before the night’s cold arrived? This may indicate that strawberries lack phosphorus. Perhaps the plant does not absorb this substance in the required amount due to too acidic soil. If this is the reason, then slaked lime must be added to the soil. After the soil has deoxidized, you can use superphosphatewhich will help get rid of redness on the leaves.
If the strawberry leaves have already begun to change color after the onset of night frosts, no need to worry. Because she is preparing for winter. Strawberries simply change the color of plant pigments. Under the influence of low temperatures, chlorophyll is destroyed, and the elements that give the leaves yellow, red and brown color come to the fore. Do you fight brown spot on strawberry leaves or ignore it, while getting an equally generous harvest? Share your experience with us.