When to ferment cabbage in October 2023
To make sauerkraut incredibly juicy and crispy, you need to choose not only mature and elastic heads of cabbage for cooking, but also good days. For this, esotericists recommend checking the lunar calendar. When to ferment cabbage in October 2023To get a super tasty preparation, read today.
Keep a list of favorable and unsuitable days for preparing this vegetable snack. Get started sourdough cabbage at the right time, checking the phase of the moon, and then you will succeed.
When to ferment cabbage according to the lunar calendar
According to esotericists, the full moon is at its maximum wrong time for fermenting cabbage. The fact is that a vegetable prepared for the winter during this period will most likely turn out too soft and very bland. You should also not ferment cabbage during the new moon. Because the workpiece cannot be stored for a long time.
This is the best vegetable snack to make. during the waxing month. In this case, the cabbage will have a pleasant crunch, piquancy and the necessary sourness. Also, the preparation will be moderately sweet. You can store it for a very long time without fear of loss of taste.
Suitable and unlucky days for pickling
We advise you to remember what days of October favorable for fermenting cabbage. These include dates from the 15th to the 26th. There is no need to prepare cabbage for the winter. in the next days: October 13, 14, 27–29.
Golden recipe for sauerkraut with cranberries
Now you know when is the best time to make such a preparation. All that remains is to write down a selected cabbage recipe that will definitely not let you down.
- 3 kg white cabbage
- 100 g carrots
- 100 g cranberries
- 1 tbsp. l. Sahara
- 75 g table salt
- 10 g dill seeds
- 6 bay leaves
- ground black pepper to taste
How to cook:
- Remove the top leaves from the cabbage heads. Remove the stalks. Finely chop the cabbage using a sharp knife. Peel the carrots. We grate it on a grater with large cells. We wash the cranberries. Let’s dry it.
- Place cabbage and carrots in a large bowl. Add sugar, salt, dill seeds and ground black pepper. Mix everything thoroughly. Press the vegetables with your hands to release the juice.
- Place 2 bay leaves in a very large, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Then we place carrots and cabbage in it, as well as cranberries and bay leaves, alternating layers. We compact everything well to release more juice from the vegetables.
- We place heavy pressure on the cabbage. We send it to a warm place for 2-3 days. Regularly skim off any foam that appears on the cabbage.
- After the specified time has passed, we remove the oppression. We make several holes in the cabbage using, for example, a wooden skewer or a long handle of a spoon. Leave it for another 24 hours.
- A day later, place the sauerkraut and cranberries in sterilized jars, compacting everything tightly. Close with lids and put away for further storage.
Look at the lunar calendar for delicious fermented cabbage that won’t turn brown. And also remember that for this snack you need large and dense heads of cabbage, having no voids. This cabbage will give the maximum amount of juice.